Thornton Adjustable Positioner
CORE FEATURES & BENEFITS
The TAP can be adjusted while in the mouth, either by the patient or by another person, such as a sleep technician or doctor. Adjustment does not require an office visit.
- The patient has maximum control over his or her therapy due to the patient-adjustable feature of the TAP. Since the best treatment position can vary from night to night and can even extend to a stretched jaw position, the patient can achieve treatment results superior to any other appliance.
The TAP has an adjustment mechanism that advances the mandible .25 mm with each turn of the key. The patient can vary the position precisely by counting the turns.
- Allows both the dentist and the patient to confidently maintain the proper treatment position and yet allows them to make changes depending on the patient's symptoms.
The TAP is clinically proven to treat high upper airway resistance syndrome as well as all levels of obstructive sleep apnea, including severe sleep apnea.
- Easily adjusted to position the mandible in the most effective forward posture. Simply moving the lower base segment forward to slide the connecting wire through the tube and locking the stop collar back down to the new position, the OASYS is now ready to wear.
The TAP can be easily modified by the dentist in several configurations to meet the unique needs of every patient.
- Accomplishes dual action of mandibular repositioning and nasal dilation while maintaining maximum intraoral space for the tongue. It even has an opening between the front teeth to invite the tongue forward so that the base of the tongue is brought forward and the oropharynx is maximally opened.
Reduction of Forces on Teeth
- Comes with an upper splint that distributes the forces of repositioning throughout the entire upper arch and provides a cushion for the upper component. The OASYS Oral/Nasal/Airway SystemTM has a natural flexibility of the connecting wire that will "give" in response to retrusive movements of the mandible.
Freedom of Movement
- Fixed solely to the lower arch. This creates a freedom of motion by allowing movement of the mandible in all directions without locking onto the upper arch.
Thornton Adjustable Positioner
The TAP 3 Elite® is the most current design in the TAP line of oral appliances. It has a simple design that attaches the upper and lower trays together by using a small hook on the upper tray and a double lingual bar receptacle on the lower tray.The new double lingual bar design improves patient experience and durability of the appliance because the hardware cannot disengage while the trays are worn. This design (fixed mechanical hinge and an inseparable pivot point) also meets Medicare requirements for the treatment of OSA.
The TAP 3 Elite design has an innovative 3-hook system that:
- Allows for greater adjustability
- Provides versatility to accommodate patient comfort
- Features increased hardware durability
- Allows for improved coupling of the upper and lower hardware over previous designs
- Is Medicare verified with code e0486